Battletech Movie

http://www.battletech-movie.eu
It is currently 18.08.2017, 12:33

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Introduction from the MechWarrior: Living Legends team
PostPosted: 20.02.2007, 00:24 

Hi there, my name is Criminal (Sean Tracy) and i am the lead developer on MechWarrior: Living Legends mod.

The mod if you don't know already is to be a total conversion mod for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. I have already assembled a dedicated team of over 18 members from various gaming development backgrounds who are eagerly awaiting projects and currently hard at work on animation and texturing.
The main reason for making this mod were that their has no be and updated "MechWarrior" game for at least 5 years and i have people quoted on various forums saying that they'd purchase quake wars just for this mod...there is a HUGE mechwarrior fan base out there just waiting for a quality product to be released.

Essentially the main reason for this message is to open up a friendly correspondence with the Battletech Movie team and members since i do have a few very important questions that need to be answered if we are to continue to develop the mod at the rate that we have been going. In addition we have used artwork from your team in our concept art i think more than any other third party contributor and would love to enter a "partnership" between our projects. We have recently been featured on various Quake Wars fansites as well as featured in the popular french PC gaming magazine "Vossey Mag".

One of the biggest downfalls to the attempted MTS mod was that they were not provided with ANY support from the developer (DICE) of the franchise he was modding.

Splash Damage has already shown that they wont make the same mistake as i have received many answers just simply through emailing the dev team. I am in constant email correspondance and talks are underway for a link exchanges on their main development site. We EVEN have a developer thinking of joining our team.

Currently we have the majority of our models concepted out and most of the high poly models done, however, there are some important factors that need to be addressed with each model as far as rigging and texturing goes.In addition Player models are a whole different as we require info from the Battletech community since we want to keep it as accurate as possible especially when it comes to the infantry component!!

So in summation I just wanted to see if anyone here at the Battletech Movie forums are receptive to this idea, in addition I truly value your input and opinions regarding the mod and how it should be. I think any sort of exchange between our teams would better this ambitious project ten fold!.
You can check out our site at http://www.mechlivinglegends.net
or email me at criminal@mechlivinglegends.net

-regards

Sean Tracy aka: Criminal

p.s: We are SERIOUSLY in need of someone with extensive knowledge of the Battltech Universe for consulting on some planned concepts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.02.2007, 07:56 

Well this is interesting, I didnt know there were any other BT mods for ET:QW other than Mektek's QWP....

Hmmm...

I personally cannot volunteer any services because I have become very busy in RL, however, i can offer criticism (hopefully constructive) and opinions.

I am definitely for such a project, but since alot of the BT community is looking forward to such a mod, I think its better that its done really well. You might therefore want to contact Mektek to see if they are willing to combine the 2 teams - with greater manpower you're likely to do a better job.

Admittedly, Mektek can be a little pigheaded and selfish at times, but they have it where it counts and their artists are all topnotch and even more experienced than us when it comes to games models and texturing.

I've also looked through your site, and whilst it does look promising, I must admit that the only final model (the elemental) I've seen there, well... could be better. Pardon me, because I have a very high standard when it comes to judging computer graphics, but i believe it could be better textured and lit. Alot of people take offense at this point - I would not be surprised if you would, but I feel that since this project is so important, it should make use of the high end graphics engine as part of the experience.

I understand that the render was not ingame, and is not representative of what the models will look like ingame. I look forward to seeing more work, and hopefully I will be able to offer some advice or help later on.

Good luck in finding more help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.02.2007, 15:38 

Honestly I wouldn't consider the Mektek Team as partners for any project. For an understandable reason they don't share resources, and are not really open to anything that doesn't fit their philosophy. If you already have a dedicated team, I would stick with it. It's better to have a small team than lots of people with different backgrounds, styles and expectations. I've seen and worked for a couple of Battletech related projects, and every group has their own idea of how it has to be done.

Anyway, I will check out your links and see if I can help out with constructive feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.02.2007, 16:38 

Hello again! Thanks for the replies, also i need to answer a few questions regarding "MekTek"

We have been in constant contact with VAM the site administrator for MekTek and currently MekTek has NOT done anything outside of the Mechwarrior 4 engine the only thing they've even tried to do is import 1 static model into the quake 4 engine which really is a 10minute job. In addition mektek is notorious for not being very community oriented , as far as modding communities.

Where most of my team comes from modding the bf2 engine on many projects ie: First Strike mod (http://www.firststrike.com) BF40k (http://www.battlefield40k.com) both projects are completely interactive with the community in addition there is a certain amount of respect that needs to be given to mod teams and mektek does NOT give it. We were greeted with open hostility on their website and due to a few of their fan's disrespect there will be no inter-team development.

This may sound a little harsh but if you've ever dealt with MekTek for anything (as i think Graysho has) you'll understand.

Finally to snowstorm i appreciate the criticism can you be a little more precise though about the elemental...one thing that needs to be said in the artists defense is that he's restricted to a certain LOD because of map size limitations (we want this game to run smooth as silk). You can actually see the picture he used as concept art here http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/index. ... ey=9&hit=1

I do truly appreciate the constructive criticism and its one of the main reason i signed up here with all these great artist. Don't worry about me "getting defensive" like i said i appreciate ANY input you can give.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.02.2007, 17:25 

As an artist I definitely understand what it feels to be criticised - I know that my comments can be harsh, and I guess it is little surprise that most people would get a little defensive now and then. Its how I work :)

I also understand your views about Mektek - I know they are known for being extremely selfish, I was just bringing them up just in case, because I have no idea what kind of background the mod has nor do i know if you're aware that Mektek is doing their own QW mod.

As far as putting mechs into QW goes, they are already doing highpoly meshes and some of them have normal maps baked and ready for placing into the engine, but yes, most of it has not gone through the engine at all.

As for the elemental, at this point its mainly because it looks very shiny. Like I mentioned, I would like to see it generated by the game engine before commenting further - I would not like to give a false criticism.

Post subject: Re: Introduction from the MechWarrior: Living Legends team
PostPosted: 26.05.2008, 01:09 

Welcome Criminal, it's nice to have you around doing what the MW community needs in way of new material.

I know I'm belated with this post however all the same my time creates a lot of belativity lol (wow - I created a new word). IMHO the BattleTech / MechWarrior community as a combined whole - from BattleTech Universe to Mektek to BTM to MechStorm, and beyond, has a great deal of talent in every aspect of the creativity needed. the problem with things that has always been the dividing factor is that everyone wants to be THE ONE to come out with the next great thing. cooperation can be very limited between entities because of that form of selfishness. MechStorm has been one of the only standing groups who have offered to unite, and that before BMP came along with thier unified developement initiative - which when approached by them I embraced whole heartedly. My unified developement mentality has allowed me to move forward amongst the various entities to support them individually as thier needs grew. I've supported many different projects and have done so for 10 years now.

I'm curious to see you desiring a partnership here with this community, for not too many folks reach out like that these days and it's encouraging. I'm in agreement with GraySho on his identifying the issues revolving around MekTek, however I still will endorse MekTek's ability to produce what they mean to - through sheer determination if need be ( at least when evilcow was around lol ).

I've posted on the MWLL forums and believe the project can make a difference if it is willing to both go all the way as well as allow for community involvement. It's a step in the right direction for us as a community whole to also, in turn, allow ourselves to be of assistance to this project.

I am willing to assist you in any way I can. My expertise revolves around Sound Engineering, Voice Over acting, and Sound Effects developement. If your project has a need for sound effects, let me know. =)